This club should have been playing in the second division, based on last season’s results, but yet another compromise from the Professional League allowed Pandurii to take International’s place, following a deal that saw numerous players, plus the technical staff to move from Curtea de Arges to Targu Jiu. 10 rounds gone and this “2 in 1″ team occupies the last place in the standings, with just one win out of ten games, already 5 points away from the 14th place that guarantees salvation, of course, unless Pandurii will find another way to dribble through the so called laws of the game.
The two weeks break was make or break time for the board, who decided to release the young & promising Ionut Badea – who was linked with a job at Dinamo, in spite of his position in the standings! – and handed over the team to a more experienced coach like Petre Grigoras. Known for his ability to make his teams play attractive football, Grigoras comes after a difficult period, as he had to stay away from the game for medical reasons, and takes over one of the ugliest teams in the league. Pandurii were a tough nut to crack especially under CFR’s current coach, Sorin Cartu, nicknamed Sorinaccio for his ultra-defensive style, and Grigoras will be seriously tested by a roster divided in two groups of players: those who had played for Pandurii last season and the 16 that came this summer, from International.
The new coach will get to know the team in a five days training camp in Antalya, with the exception of two central defenders, Chiriches (selected in Romania’s U21) and Viera (called-up for Cote d’Ivoire’s match in Burundi), and has the biggest challenge in getting the team’s strikers in shape, as only Apostu scored so far (a brace, in Pandurii’s single win of the season), with the likes of Stromajer, Adrian Iordache and Antohi looking useless, unable to take advantage of a decent midfield, which contains decent players like Voiculet, Ilie Iordache, Orac and Bacila.
- Ceahlaul – Universitatea Craiova 2-1 (Ibrahim 75, Cebotaru 90 / M. Costea 64)
- Pandurii – Politehnica Iasi 1-1 (Stromajer 30 / Nuno Viveiros 90)
- Gaz Metan Medias – Rapid 0-0
- Steaua – Astra Ploiesti 2-0 (B. Stancu 7, Arman Karamyan 52)
- Otelul Galati – Unirea Alba Iulia 1-0 (Salageanu 37)
- FC Brasov – Gloria Bistrita 6-0 (Abrudan 49, C. Munteanu 64, Sburlea 67, V. Nastase 69 o.g., Chipciu 78, Hadnagy 81)
- CFR Cluj – FC Vaslui 0-0
- Unirea Urziceni – International Curtea de Arges 1-0 (Bilasco 77)
- Dinamo – FC Timisoara 1-2 (M. Niculae 63 / Goga 45, Cocis 49)