Europa League’s group stage: who’s going to make it?
With five team knocking at the door this season and some average opposition in most of the cases, Romanian football hopes to grab this chance by the throat and try another good season in Europe, where it can still send directly into the group stage of the Champions League the champion club, even its name is Otelul Galati.
Steaua Bucharest – CSKA Sofia
The game will be played in Cluj, as Steaua has been forced to abandon their stadium in Bucharest and, in spite of playing tonight in front of a lot of fans, they will look once again as if they’re playing away from home. The two clubs fought all summer for the signature of Brazilian forward Ribeiro Moraes, who decided in the end to play for CSKA, while the Bulgarians’ main threat is considered Liga I’s top scorer from last season, Ianis Zicu.
Steaua will field a decent starting eleven, but Levy still has a lot of work to do to get this team going, as it badly misses creative players in midfield, but relies on two quick forwards, Tatu and Mihai Costea, to make the difference.
Slask Wroclaw – Rapid Bucharest
During the weekend, Rapid deployed a surprising 4-4-2 against newly promoted Petrolul, a match which they struggled to win (1-0, goals scored in the 87th minute), but this might have been part of a strategy to deceive the Polish club. Razvan Lucescu knows how to approach such games and he was there when Rapid managed the club’s best ever performance in an European competition. I expect a return to a 4-3-3 with Romeo Surdu and Ciprian Deac on the flanks, a midfield trio formed by Iulian Apostol, Dan Alexa and Ovidiu Herea, but the player that has impressed the most is Marcos Antonio, the rock solid Brazilian centre-back, who will certainly play a big part especially in this first leg.
Vorskla Poltava – Dinamo Bucharest
Dinamo hasn’t changed under Liviu Ciobotariu and, if this team stands a chance to get a result, than the attacking line must produce at least a couple of goals. It has worked so far, but the away game versus NK Varazdin could have gone wrong in a lot of delicate moments. Dinamo cannot use the promising Marius Alexe on the left wing – accused by fans that he’s not playing as good as he can since Chelsea added his name on what is probably a very long shortlist – and will move there the experienced Catalin Munteanu. It might be good for him, as Munteanu has an excellent service and the veteran Ionel Danciulesc plus Dinamo’s captain Marius Niculae could use some quality balls upfront. All eyes will be once again on the dynamic little right winger Gabriel Torje, who catches the eye, but could also “catch a black eye” if he keeps playing by himself every single time he gets a pass in a good position.
FC Vaslui – Sparta Prague
Vaslui’s in a mess. They have finally scored, after four consecutive matches in which they had failed, but the win against newly promoted Concordia Chiajna has a cost: the Brazilian Adailton, who provided 3 assists in the 3-0 away success, is now injured and his name is added on a very long list. Team captain Wesley is suspended for this game, but coach Viorel Hizo has a depleated team, with central defenders Papp, Canu, Milanov and Gladstone injured, plus midfielders Pavlovic and Milisavljevic transfer listed and recently excluded from the team.
Austria Vienna – Gaz Metan Medias
Gaz Metan managed to survive in the double against Mainz, going through on penalties, but they will also face Austria Vienna against several first team players. In fact, Cristi Pustai has been forced to give up the impressive trio of supporting players for the lone striker, as Parvulescu and Munteanu are out injured and Brazilian key attacking midfielder and prolific scorer Eric de Oliveira is on the verge of switching clubs before the transfer window closes. It will all come down to Gaz Metan’s ability to defend, which can look average at times, and their luck to score at least once in tonight’s encounter, when they should be more dangerous on set-plays than on counter-attacks.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
• 10 years of continuous work in scouting, for top clubs and companies;
• Worked for clubs like Bayer 04 Leverkusen and Hannover 96, monitorring the Romanian market;
• Worked for Birmingham based company 'The Scouting Network' (www.tsn.co.uk) as a football scout;
• Worked for Zurich based company Boutique Football as a scouting network coordinator;
• International scout for Young Boys Bern for 2 years, covering Eastern European football.
• Currently working as an international scout for a top French club, covering Eastern European football.
- @mirkocorli before this, Steaua was tempted to keep everybody and get into the CL group stage. Doubt it will stay the same now... Published: 40 minutes ago
- @mirkocorli the cashflow will be affected, so maybe there will be a change of strategy - like cashing in on 2-3 top players Published: 41 minutes ago
- @mirkocorli hard to believe though that Steaua won't be affected - depends a lot on Becali's maneuvers and cash injection Published: 43 minutes ago
- @mirkocorli Becali still owns the club - the shares 'belong' to relatives and friends - and he says he'll continue to control everything Published: 43 minutes ago
- Gigi Becali left his house and will start his 3 years sentence tonight. Last night, he was caught on Henri Coanda... fb.me/A50UqE0A Published: 16 hours ago
- Steaua's 24th title: never in doubt, now a certainty
- Adrian Stoian, just another typical Romanian talent?
- The ways to get in touch
- Traore vs Stancu, a few reasons for (not) splashing out a few millions...
- The rise and fall of Marius Niculae
- Best players in Romania: right midfielders
- Gavra impresses at Ajax!
- Best eleven in Romania - mid-season analysis
- Piturca, a ruthless negotiator, a very strict coach, but also a father...
- The Suitcase Brief, a poor movie, starring Gigi Becali and Victor Piturca
- Blog related (3)
- Completed transfers (71)
- Liga I – Season 09/10 (43)
- Liga I – Season 2010/2011 (37)
- Liga I – Season 2011/2012 (19)
- Liga I – Season 2012/2013 (30)
- Mercato (75)
- My betting tips (11)
- My highlights (6)
- My offside trap (99)
- Read the papers! (127)
- Romanian cup (3)
- Romanian players abroad (7)
My work so far
- May 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (2)
- March 2013 (4)
- February 2013 (5)
- January 2013 (3)
- December 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (4)
- September 2012 (5)
- August 2012 (11)
- July 2012 (11)
- June 2012 (6)
- May 2012 (7)
- April 2012 (6)
- March 2012 (8)
- February 2012 (3)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (7)
- November 2011 (1)
- October 2011 (3)
- September 2011 (3)
- August 2011 (6)
- July 2011 (7)
- June 2011 (9)
- May 2011 (10)
- April 2011 (1)
- March 2011 (6)
- February 2011 (11)
- January 2011 (15)
- December 2010 (12)
- November 2010 (12)
- October 2010 (17)
- September 2010 (16)
- August 2010 (34)
- July 2010 (35)
- June 2010 (32)
- May 2010 (24)
- April 2010 (24)
- March 2010 (41)
- February 2010 (49)
- January 2010 (63)