Thank you, San Marino!
This goes out to the security guards, the policemen, the honest workers that every once in a while get together to play in San Marino’s national team. They did it again on Wednesday evening, when offered the Romanian national team yet another chance of a fresh start, under the recently appointed head coach Victor Piturca. The match that ended with a 1-0 win for our national team was helpful for a lot of reasons and you can find some below:
- Showed us exactly where we are at this point: slightly better than one of the worst national teams in the world.
- Offered another strong reason to get rid of some of our “star players”, with Adrian Mutu and Gabriel Tamas excluded from the national team after returning late to the hotel from a few hours break offered by Piturca.
- Helped the always generous Banel Nicolita fulfill yet another dream, as he wore the armband on his 31st cap.
- Proved to Piturca that 75% of those called up to refresh the national team cannot play better here than they are doing at club level. What a surprise!
- Made the coach think very seriously about avoiding the same mistake done by his predecessor, Razvan Lucescu, who was called to rebuild the squad in the middle of a campaign and decided to defy the odds and fight for a qualifying spot, having to rebuild at the beginning of the next one, when he should have had the team ready to go.