Round 4 – results, scorers, highlights and standings
- Gaz Metan Medias topping the standings is something even I wasn’t expecting, although I predicted a good season from this well organized team. The Brazilian Eric de Oliveira scored his 7th goal in 4 matches (a wonderful free kick) and left the field with 20 minutes to go, losing the chance to try and make it four consecutive braces in this outstanding start of season!
Another small team tipped to do well, Otelul Galati, added an important win against the newly promoted FCM Targu Mures, and Dorinel Munteanu’s keeper, Grahovac, is the only one in the league with four clean sheets. Impressive!
- Things are going very bad for Unirea Urziceni, though, who’s yet to score a goal this season, and worrying for CFR Cluj, held to a draw at home by a team that will struggle to avoid relegation this season. Good debut from the Brazilian Rafael Bastos, though, who could play an important part this season, as the missing playmaker. The problem is that Mandorlini keeps on looking for the best tactical setup & formation, which is unacceptable, in my opinion, after almost a year in charge.
- FC Vaslui’s Lopez Caro is under some pressure, as well, but he did snatch an important win against FC Brasov, thanks to two well taken corners and Pouga’s lucky debut, but he still needs some time to impose his style and get everyone at the same fitness level (ok, there are some late additions, but what has he done with the rest of the team all summer?), which is good news for Lille’s fans, I suppose. ;-)
- Ilie Dumitrescu had a happy debut as Steaua’s coach, but took advantage of an absolutely horrible decision to get the three points against a newly promoted club. Dumitrescu handed a debut to Kapetanos, who lacks match fitness, but his general approach was very offensive, with top performances from Tanase, Latovlevici, Stoica and Stancu.
- This round’s derby, Dinamo-Rapid, was spectacular, but showed that both teams have a lot of work to do this season, if they do want to challenge for the title. The good thing is that, of all the six teams involved in the fight, none looks like the finished article yet. Rapid’s coach Sumudica just proved a lot of people right, as he’s a good motivator, but an inexperienced coach, while Dinamo continues to look the most dangerous team in the league at both ends :-).
CFR Cluj – Astra Ploiesti 2-2 (Traore 35, Bud 81 / Patrascu 19, Fatay 85)
Gloria Bistrita – Pandurii Targu Jiu 3-0 (A. Muresan 8, Predescu 53, Moraes 74)
Unirea Urziceni – Universitatea Cluj 0-1 (Lemnaru 3)
FC Vaslui – FC Brasov 2-1 (Papp 20, Pouga 66 / Cr. Ionescu 22)
Gaz Metan Medias – Sportul Studentesc 3-0 (Z. Markovic 5, A. Muntean 58, Eric 67)
Dinamo – Rapid 3-2 (L. Ganea 51, 61, Torje 65 / Herea 14, 42)
Universitatea Craiova – FC Timisoara 1-1 (Piturca 52 / Zicu 90)
Otelul Galati – FCM Targu Mures 1-0 (Antal 69 pen)
Steaua – Victoria Branesti 2-1 (B. Stancu 24, 67 pen / Olariu 56 pen)
Round 5 (20-23 August): Sportul Studentesc – CFR Cluj, Rapid – Gloria Bistrita, FCM Targu Mures – Dinamo, Astra Ploiesti – Universitatea Craiova, Pandurii – Gaz Metan Medias, Universitatea Cluj – Otelul Galati, FC Vaslui – Steaua, FC Timisoara – Victoria Branesti, FC Brasov – Unirea Urziceni.